Skip to main content

Muse-Ic

I've been latched unto the rollercoaster of music, it took me through highs and lows. My iTunes playlist that I called "My Jamz" (yes, with a "Z") was compiled from music of the stars- in my eyes back then- with the likes of Aerosmith, Regina Spektor, Chris Brown, Enriqué Iglesias, ColdPlay, Adele, Beyoncé and Linkin Park.

It may seem like some variety, swimming across the spectrum of musical genres, but all seemed to own a special key to my mind, unlocking my emotions of laughter, tears and the most dreaded "release yourself" , where I try to bust a move, combining the creepwalk with the butterfly dance and the running man. That was a shambles.

What I'm getting at here, as I quickly pull out from your imagination visions of me trying to dance, is that these artists and musicians have a way of combining sounds to accompany their lyrics, sending message to our subconscious, and our minds intepret these wave signals to dance, sing-along, or just become mushy as we share in the sentiment of their stories.

They do have to be wise in their music production, if they want to make records sell they must sing about something you are interested in listening to. Even as in these days, songs are made more of electronic-matrixy-computerised sounds than lyrics, artists must still know what pleases your ears.

Therein lies the fact, they know how to control us; our feelings, our actions. They know what could make us happy, what could make us sad, what could make us think deeply about our lives and what could make us long for a companion, what could make people think about sex, drugs, murder and hate, what could make us think about love.

Well, the good thing is that our hearts can be guarded securely by making their songs just mere sounds to our ears. For example, if you find that Adele's "Someone Like You" brings emotions and hurting memories of the ex who constantly tweets about his new amazing girl, you could wave them off before they get even deeper to uncover healing wounds from your break up. That will make you stronger. Or better still, avoid the song and find something less melancholic and more spiritually uplifting.

Bottom line- Music is powerful. If it moves our God, it will surely swing us also. Good music can move our hearts to love, bad music can entice us to sin, Gospel music can move us to love God, and music in worship can touch the heart of our God.

Whatever it is, it affects us. So what pulls your strings?




Comments

  1. God's music pulls my string, moved by d words being spoken, to him, about him, or a message of his love jst makes me glad. I love d message in this blog, jst as music it has made me wanna hear mre of 1 genre of music...'God's music'God's music pulls my string, moved by d words being spoken, to him, about him, or a message of his love jst makes me glad. I love d message in this blog, jst as music it has made me wanna hear mre of 1 genre of music...'God's music'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooo true! Like I keep saying its funny how love songs actually end up making you feel so unloved because the lyrics make you so aware of how the love that is being described is absent in your own life. Music is powerful! I have found that for every worldly song that steers up a positive emotion in me, I can find a gospel song (based on God's word) that steers the same emotion even to a more intense level. The best part is, its based on God's word which never passes away so when the emotion fades away, God's word and its message has been etched on my heart for ever. And like a bank, building up these messages in my heart from many many gospel songs provides me with a reserve from which I can draw in times of need.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Prologue- Memoirs of A Skilled Hunter

Dawn was drawing close. The gentle breeze came as a consolation, symphatising with the wild for bearing with the downpour that befell the night. This time, the predator walked along an unusual path, the rays of sun bouncing off the shy green of wet leaves providing a source of illumination to its glowing eyes. It had spotted prey and now it was calculating the next move... I hadn't seen her in ages. I watched intently as she made her way towards me, her hips swinging graciously from side-to-side, her movement emphasized by the frills on her flowery gown, accentuating her hourglass figure. It's been 10 years since I last saw her and it seemed every part of her body, visible to my eyes, had been renovated in heaven time and time again. She had become much more attractive, she was beautiful. The predator studied its prey. Well-hidden by the shadows cast by the tall fruitless trees, it was being careful. Avoiding every broken branch, it took slow gentle steps towards its prey,

Yours Sincerely, Me

For reasons unknown to me, I was deeply inspired to write this note on my way to school this morning. I hope this note is relevant to someone. Stay blessed . I dread to start this letter with “Dear” because I fear that she might read it and become suspicious and spiteful of what is now non-existent. And no, I wouldn’t want that, for I am a changed person and whatever I do now, I do it in love. I would like to ask you a few questions though, well; I would like to know if when you see her your eyes light up like a kid’s in a candy store? Do you find yourself smiling just at the mention of her name? And do you wish you could hold her in your arms and make those precious moments last forever? Is she your half’s other, close to you like no other? I’m not writing to make you feel insecure about your new relationship. I don’t want you to feel that you are being watched closely, I haven’t gone crazy and I am fine; there’s been no mental-breakdown. I just want to remind you that you once s

Uni: Me, Mini-me.

Today is Thursday. I'm dreading the night mainly because of the aftermath- a very messy kitchen, quite smelly corridors and grumpy cleaners. My first semester of Uni, I must say, wasn't at all what I had anticipated. I remember coaching myself mentally, preparing for the hard times to come, having an escape plan in case of a metaphoric fire and a Plan B if that didn’t work. Anyway, as it happened, my plan B wasn't well premeditated, lacking enough detail to guide me through smoky situations. All it had inscribed on it was “RUN”. Thursday nights are Mercy Nights- when students get free entry into an over-hyped nightclub. As that isn’t my cup of tea, I tend to stay indoors, watching a movie or trying to catch up with work- the latter being more frequent. The reason I dread these nights is because my flatmates have a pre-party, a chaotic one, where over 10 people squeeze into our kitchen, blast the music through the roof and scream at the top of their lungs in chants for Ke