Skip to main content

Short-sighted


This is a guest post from my dear Jem. She likes hashtags and writes on her blog too. Check it all out here!




I wear glasses. I’ve been short-sighted from a young age. It’s not been so much of a problem ‘cos Spec-savers fixes that for me. However, there’s a short-sightedness that can ruin our lives if we don’t get our vision back quickly. 

This weekend, I got really upset about not being able to do a few things. I’ve wanted to invest in property for a while now and not being financially capable made me really frustrated. All of a sudden, I felt I hadn’t achieved anything in life, I was not on the level of my peers and the cycle of thoughts sent me down a line of ingratitude and an all-time low.

Ingratitude. Don’t even get me started. This is the biggest killer of joy and the stealthiest thief of what you actually have. 2 Corinthians 10:12 states “When they measure themselves by themselves, they are not wise”.  Whenever I think of this scripture, I am reminded that a standard has to be fixed, it should be a better template. Often, people and their lives are not fixed, they change all the time, they are not necessarily better but different. The path carved out for them is very different to yours. The moment we start looking at the little we don’t have, we lose sight on the abundance that we do have. If we were to make a list of things we have actually overcome or achieved, we will realise how blessed we are. It will cause you to rejoice (find joy again). That’s what gratitude does, it gives you another taste of the joy you experienced with regards to a thing or an event.

And he said to them, “Take care, and be on your guard against all covetousness, for one’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.” Luke 12:15

As I got further into the reflective cycle, I questioned myself on Greed.  When did I get to the point where I was “chasing after” money? When did it become my focus?

It’s not a bad thing to desire to have investments and be successful on earthly standards. I believe we do have desires to make the most of our life and achieve something worthwhile.

But…Where does your hope lie? I had to pause and ask myself.

Does your hope and security come from your financial gains and earthly possessions or is it found in Christ?

The Bible is pretty clear that “God makes rich and adds no sorrow”, “He teaches your hands to get wealth” and at the end of the day “the earth is the Lord’s and all of it fullness”…Including your “wealth”. It’s all His in the first place, we’re only really stewards of what He owns.

It takes nothing, to lose all you have. Nothing. One natural disaster, one scam, one bad deal.
Maybe I don’t lose it. Maybe instead, He asks me to give it all up and follow Him, will I find it difficult? Will I be like the rich man – choosing to squeeze through the eye of a needle than enter freely into the kingdom of God? (Mark 10:25) That is a sobering thought.

 “He who loves money will not be satisfied with money, nor he who loves wealth with his income; this also is vanity” Ecclesiastes 5:10

If all my efforts, my time, and focus is on being “wealthy” on earth and nothing towards eternity, what happens when my time on earth is done? I have to remember, none of those things are transferable to the next life. This current life is only but a brief moment in the span of eternity. This place is only a stop on the journey to the final destination. All earthly possessions are perishable and simply don’t compare to the non-perishable gifts we receive in the presence of our King.

“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also” Matthew 6:19-21

Underpinning my quality of sight is the image in front of me. The writer of Hebrews did not stutter when He said “Look to Jesus…” That’s where hope, sustenance and joy lies.

Whether it’s a time of plenty or of empty, I will look to Jesus.
Whether I have been successful in using my skills and talents or I am still trying to put my life together, I will look to Jesus.

I will hope in Him
I will trust in Him
I will rely on Him
I will rejoice in Him

All that is around me, all that I have will pass away but …
The Rock of Ages, The one that remains the same yesterday, today and forever,
He will and does abide forever.
He is the focus of my vision.
In Him, I can trust.

#BeThouMyVision
#LookToJesus
#JesusIsBetter
#ItsNotAboutTheMoney
#BitterPillSweetTruth

Photo credit: Photos by FeyVored


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prologue- Memoirs of A Skilled Hunter

Dawn was drawing close. The gentle breeze came as a consolation, symphatising with the wild for bearing with the downpour that befell the night. This time, the predator walked along an unusual path, the rays of sun bouncing off the shy green of wet leaves providing a source of illumination to its glowing eyes. It had spotted prey and now it was calculating the next move... I hadn't seen her in ages. I watched intently as she made her way towards me, her hips swinging graciously from side-to-side, her movement emphasized by the frills on her flowery gown, accentuating her hourglass figure. It's been 10 years since I last saw her and it seemed every part of her body, visible to my eyes, had been renovated in heaven time and time again. She had become much more attractive, she was beautiful. The predator studied its prey. Well-hidden by the shadows cast by the tall fruitless trees, it was being careful. Avoiding every broken branch, it took slow gentle steps towards its prey,

Yours Sincerely, Me

For reasons unknown to me, I was deeply inspired to write this note on my way to school this morning. I hope this note is relevant to someone. Stay blessed . I dread to start this letter with “Dear” because I fear that she might read it and become suspicious and spiteful of what is now non-existent. And no, I wouldn’t want that, for I am a changed person and whatever I do now, I do it in love. I would like to ask you a few questions though, well; I would like to know if when you see her your eyes light up like a kid’s in a candy store? Do you find yourself smiling just at the mention of her name? And do you wish you could hold her in your arms and make those precious moments last forever? Is she your half’s other, close to you like no other? I’m not writing to make you feel insecure about your new relationship. I don’t want you to feel that you are being watched closely, I haven’t gone crazy and I am fine; there’s been no mental-breakdown. I just want to remind you that you once s

Uni: Me, Mini-me.

Today is Thursday. I'm dreading the night mainly because of the aftermath- a very messy kitchen, quite smelly corridors and grumpy cleaners. My first semester of Uni, I must say, wasn't at all what I had anticipated. I remember coaching myself mentally, preparing for the hard times to come, having an escape plan in case of a metaphoric fire and a Plan B if that didn’t work. Anyway, as it happened, my plan B wasn't well premeditated, lacking enough detail to guide me through smoky situations. All it had inscribed on it was “RUN”. Thursday nights are Mercy Nights- when students get free entry into an over-hyped nightclub. As that isn’t my cup of tea, I tend to stay indoors, watching a movie or trying to catch up with work- the latter being more frequent. The reason I dread these nights is because my flatmates have a pre-party, a chaotic one, where over 10 people squeeze into our kitchen, blast the music through the roof and scream at the top of their lungs in chants for Ke