Skip to main content

Idara : The Last of The Gung-Ho Kids




A tale like no other, before you I lay
Simplicity its form, amidst its language rests the cunning.
Its nature like an egg, artistic, strong yet delicate exterior,
A protective hedge it creates for the rich versatile fluidity of the interior,
Heed caution, for like the scent of the egg interior ensures resurrection to the last meal for some, for others it is a welcome nourishment giving revival to things previously considered dead.
Idara is the name, bursting forth with meaning
Originating from Nigeria, it is claimed by two tribes
In the South-East, the Ibibio know the name to mean JOY
And on the country’s Western front, the Yoruba understand it as GOODNESS.
So, Goodness and Joy abundant are Idara’s goals
Mind, body and soul,
Silence and labour, her companions through the days,
Pruning and self-grooming, till her goals she achieves.


Discipline and hard work, her daily creed,
Learning ever, settling never.
A constant desire for knowledge,
Keeping close by to the reminder of "all Good" and "all Joy"
A perfect picture?  Not this one
More like a picture of perfection, without blemish, varnished
The perfection derived 
Never tarnished.


Love was a constant in her life.
With an assortment of family and friends,
ready to revert all scientific theories to see her in comfort,
the need for external affection was not one she experienced.
Rejecting with a warm smile all advances from daring men,
And on occasion a little more force, for she is beautiful
A modern day Cleopatra, she has a plan
A standard for her Mr. Right, only the brave dare try
Fewer still make the cut, none steal her heart
Not yet.

Alas, a price was paid for the continuous consumption of knowledge
For being ever present at her father’s feet,
As a sponge in water, soaking up all of his wisdom.
She grew up too fast.

Despising childish folly and forsaking the company of her peers,
Her infancy was spent laying the foundations for a solid future
Acting the mature and responsible role, and to her detriment
Ridding herself of the innocence attached to childhood.
This very critical part of growth she abandoned,
The purest and most truthful part of our lives as humans.
The chance to gain immunity, to build a thick-skin,
To stock up on resistance, germs and taunts alike.
Resistance- both physical and mental.

A void exists, at first in the shadows
As the light of day breaks, more visible it becomes
Occasionally, those without this void long for it,
That they may relive the Joys and Goodness of filling it,
To experience once again lives purest form
Innocence and Simplicity in a child’s heart
The freedom of responsibility and the seriousness of play,
Trying out things that have been forbid you,
Getting excited at growing an inch taller,
Crushing on the boy next door,
Purest bliss, alas some have had no idea,

With nothing previously experienced, she has nothing to reminisce on
Psychologically drained from tackling lives problems in childhood
Way before her mind was ever prepared for it.
An aging mind will always show outwardly, withdrawn in thought and worries.
Still she hangs on to her last comfort,
Hope.
The hope that it’s not too late rectify mistakes of the past,
Hope that while childish innocence might be long gone, the void might yet be filled with faith
She hangs on to hope
She hangs on to love...

Written by The Preacher's Son, a poet and friend.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yours Sincerely, Me

For reasons unknown to me, I was deeply inspired to write this note on my way to school this morning. I hope this note is relevant to someone. Stay blessed . I dread to start this letter with “Dear” because I fear that she might read it and become suspicious and spiteful of what is now non-existent. And no, I wouldn’t want that, for I am a changed person and whatever I do now, I do it in love. I would like to ask you a few questions though, well; I would like to know if when you see her your eyes light up like a kid’s in a candy store? Do you find yourself smiling just at the mention of her name? And do you wish you could hold her in your arms and make those precious moments last forever? Is she your half’s other, close to you like no other? I’m not writing to make you feel insecure about your new relationship. I don’t want you to feel that you are being watched closely, I haven’t gone crazy and I am fine; there’s been no mental-breakdown. I just want to remind you that you once s...

Uni: Me, Mini-me.

Today is Thursday. I'm dreading the night mainly because of the aftermath- a very messy kitchen, quite smelly corridors and grumpy cleaners. My first semester of Uni, I must say, wasn't at all what I had anticipated. I remember coaching myself mentally, preparing for the hard times to come, having an escape plan in case of a metaphoric fire and a Plan B if that didn’t work. Anyway, as it happened, my plan B wasn't well premeditated, lacking enough detail to guide me through smoky situations. All it had inscribed on it was “RUN”. Thursday nights are Mercy Nights- when students get free entry into an over-hyped nightclub. As that isn’t my cup of tea, I tend to stay indoors, watching a movie or trying to catch up with work- the latter being more frequent. The reason I dread these nights is because my flatmates have a pre-party, a chaotic one, where over 10 people squeeze into our kitchen, blast the music through the roof and scream at the top of their lungs in chants for ...

Back on the tracks

Ah, the lovely sound from the tapping of my keys. It's been too long since I blogged. There are too many things that have happened in my life since I last published a post on here, these things I don't classify blog-worthy or are extremely personal, so I will skip a lot of the details and say what is on my mind right now. Since I was a little girl, I haven't always been fascinated by trains. This is to say that because they were not usual in my life, I didn't concern myself with them. I say this to point out that my story is not something that emerges from the deep-seated passions of locomotives instead, it is just about a recent observation that I have made. In fact, trains were almost a myth where I grew up and I still remember the excitement I felt when we were going to an excursion to see one in secondary school. But back to my point. I am writing about losing track. In life, we are all on a journey to a certain destination. I know God creates us for a purpos...