Skip to main content

Prologue- Memoirs of A Skilled Hunter

Dawn was drawing close. The gentle breeze came as a consolation, symphatising with the wild for bearing with the downpour that befell the night. This time, the predator walked along an unusual path, the rays of sun bouncing off the shy green of wet leaves providing a source of illumination to its glowing eyes. It had spotted prey and now it was calculating the next move...

I hadn't seen her in ages. I watched intently as she made her way towards me, her hips swinging graciously from side-to-side, her movement emphasized by the frills on her flowery gown, accentuating her hourglass figure. It's been 10 years since I last saw her and it seemed every part of her body, visible to my eyes, had been renovated in heaven time and time again. She had become much more attractive, she was beautiful.

The predator studied its prey. Well-hidden by the shadows cast by the tall fruitless trees, it was being careful. Avoiding every broken branch, it took slow gentle steps towards its prey, looking over its shoulder and making certain no one else was after its target. It halted as a twig broke under its sore claws, underestimating the damage the rain had caused to the plants. It was quite a noise, loud enough for the prey to hear.

Her heels clicked with every step she took, her bright smile adding to the sparkle in her eyes. She was talking to a man who was dressed in what was likely an Armani suit, every seam well tailored. He looked rich. I watched as she gave him a hug, my heart skipping a beat a little. I found my brain analysing the hug; was it a little too intimate, too friendly? She looked at me as the man spoke to her, our eyes locking in what was more than a quick glance. She smiled and thanked the man and walked to me.

The sun was beginning to dominate the forest and the wild came out to honour it. Soon every animal would start its daily duties, fulfilling its purpose in the vast ecosystem. The predator had kicked itself for letting the prey know of it's presence. But this prey did not seem to mind, it took its time, chewing on the leaf of a battered coniferous plant. It had heard the predator but its territory wasn't to be taken- without a wrestle.

"It's so nice to see you" she said as she reached out for a hug. She smelt refreshing, like a warm day right in the middle of winter. I wrapped my arms around her waist, hoping she would she would feel at home there.
"It's nice to see you as well" I said, I meant every word of it. We had been classmates and we were at a reunion to mark 10 years post-secondary school. We had an instant connection and a spark had been kindled. Still, there was an awkward feeling, it seemed like she had a hidden agenda.
"Come with me, let's talk", she said as she held my hand. This beauty and charm she possessed could make even kings become beggars and she knew it. I felt like Samson being lured by Delilah. "Hold on a moment", I said letting go of her well-pampered hands to pour myself a glass of white wine. As I did so, a lady came up to me, reminding me of who she was and that we were both in the chess club. I started a conversation with this lady and made a gesture to my waiting friend, casually dismissing her and telling her I would see her later on.
She sensed my hesitation and I could see she was startled. Her authoritative facade had been dented and it showed. Yes, I was back on top of this game. I call the shots. I watched her walk away, I smirked.

The prey looked around for its hunter, but the hunter was well tucked away in the dark of the trees. The predator knew this prey was ready for a fight. But it was the predator's duty to call the shots. It was his to make the move, at his own time. At the right time. Never a little to soon, nor a little too late.

I was the predator and she, the prey.

MEMOIRS OF A SKILLED HUNTER.

Comments

  1. ooooo you've started your blog!!
    well done boo.
    *anonymous K* ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. good stuff... i wonder where its goin *xpectant*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cousin, so you had such outstanding writing skills all this while and I couldn't tell? I feel ashamed! Lol...but then, I'm most elated about the brilliance of your mind, and how you nutured the inception of this immaculate conception! It's just impeccable! I'm inspired. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehehehe! Birthday gal. This is from a well read nd highly feyvored Feyi. U got a beautiful start for a blog.. Really interesting. "The predator nd prey"

    ReplyDelete
  5. The concept is Just...i don't have the words right now, bt I'm find them eventually. lol
    Well done...this is very good. *Jem*

    ReplyDelete
  6. permit me to say - Your Blog is refreshing, me dear young lady!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Yours Sincerely, Me

For reasons unknown to me, I was deeply inspired to write this note on my way to school this morning. I hope this note is relevant to someone. Stay blessed . I dread to start this letter with “Dear” because I fear that she might read it and become suspicious and spiteful of what is now non-existent. And no, I wouldn’t want that, for I am a changed person and whatever I do now, I do it in love. I would like to ask you a few questions though, well; I would like to know if when you see her your eyes light up like a kid’s in a candy store? Do you find yourself smiling just at the mention of her name? And do you wish you could hold her in your arms and make those precious moments last forever? Is she your half’s other, close to you like no other? I’m not writing to make you feel insecure about your new relationship. I don’t want you to feel that you are being watched closely, I haven’t gone crazy and I am fine; there’s been no mental-breakdown. I just want to remind you that you once s

Uni: Me, Mini-me.

Today is Thursday. I'm dreading the night mainly because of the aftermath- a very messy kitchen, quite smelly corridors and grumpy cleaners. My first semester of Uni, I must say, wasn't at all what I had anticipated. I remember coaching myself mentally, preparing for the hard times to come, having an escape plan in case of a metaphoric fire and a Plan B if that didn’t work. Anyway, as it happened, my plan B wasn't well premeditated, lacking enough detail to guide me through smoky situations. All it had inscribed on it was “RUN”. Thursday nights are Mercy Nights- when students get free entry into an over-hyped nightclub. As that isn’t my cup of tea, I tend to stay indoors, watching a movie or trying to catch up with work- the latter being more frequent. The reason I dread these nights is because my flatmates have a pre-party, a chaotic one, where over 10 people squeeze into our kitchen, blast the music through the roof and scream at the top of their lungs in chants for Ke