Skip to main content

All that is gold...




All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes, a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be the blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king

The poem above was written by J.R.R Tolkien for his novel, the Lord of the Rings. The quote "All that glitters is not gold" is a more familiar version (taken from Shakespeare) but it relays a different truth to what this poem means. The latter calls for a discernment between real quality and what is fake in the simplest of translations, but Tolkien wants us to see far beyond the surface, and beyond the present situation.

All that is gold does not glitter;
Not all those who wander are lost

(I am learning even more to look past the shell of the body and to see the treasure of the soul, I am learning that the one who stumbles or falls can rise again)

The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost

(It takes time to grow the deepest roots that last forever; deep roots do not wither because not even the coldest act of cruelty can damage it)

From the ashes, a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring
(God can bring what was dead back to life)

Renewed shall be the blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king

(There is hope for restoration, what was lost shall be returned)

Don't write anyone off. God has given all of us gifts and some may seem to be on display more than others. But all that God gives is good (James 1:17). And if you feel like you have lost what you have been given, God does not hold anything good from His children who walk uprightly (Psalm 84:11; Matthew 7:11).

Stay encouraged,

FeyVored
         

                                                                                                                         Photo credit: Photos by FeyVored













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yours Sincerely, Me

For reasons unknown to me, I was deeply inspired to write this note on my way to school this morning. I hope this note is relevant to someone. Stay blessed . I dread to start this letter with “Dear” because I fear that she might read it and become suspicious and spiteful of what is now non-existent. And no, I wouldn’t want that, for I am a changed person and whatever I do now, I do it in love. I would like to ask you a few questions though, well; I would like to know if when you see her your eyes light up like a kid’s in a candy store? Do you find yourself smiling just at the mention of her name? And do you wish you could hold her in your arms and make those precious moments last forever? Is she your half’s other, close to you like no other? I’m not writing to make you feel insecure about your new relationship. I don’t want you to feel that you are being watched closely, I haven’t gone crazy and I am fine; there’s been no mental-breakdown. I just want to remind you that you once s...

Uni: Me, Mini-me.

Today is Thursday. I'm dreading the night mainly because of the aftermath- a very messy kitchen, quite smelly corridors and grumpy cleaners. My first semester of Uni, I must say, wasn't at all what I had anticipated. I remember coaching myself mentally, preparing for the hard times to come, having an escape plan in case of a metaphoric fire and a Plan B if that didn’t work. Anyway, as it happened, my plan B wasn't well premeditated, lacking enough detail to guide me through smoky situations. All it had inscribed on it was “RUN”. Thursday nights are Mercy Nights- when students get free entry into an over-hyped nightclub. As that isn’t my cup of tea, I tend to stay indoors, watching a movie or trying to catch up with work- the latter being more frequent. The reason I dread these nights is because my flatmates have a pre-party, a chaotic one, where over 10 people squeeze into our kitchen, blast the music through the roof and scream at the top of their lungs in chants for ...

Back on the tracks

Ah, the lovely sound from the tapping of my keys. It's been too long since I blogged. There are too many things that have happened in my life since I last published a post on here, these things I don't classify blog-worthy or are extremely personal, so I will skip a lot of the details and say what is on my mind right now. Since I was a little girl, I haven't always been fascinated by trains. This is to say that because they were not usual in my life, I didn't concern myself with them. I say this to point out that my story is not something that emerges from the deep-seated passions of locomotives instead, it is just about a recent observation that I have made. In fact, trains were almost a myth where I grew up and I still remember the excitement I felt when we were going to an excursion to see one in secondary school. But back to my point. I am writing about losing track. In life, we are all on a journey to a certain destination. I know God creates us for a purpos...