Skip to main content

Why not?




Freebies! We all love them.

That stand with tasters for Aunt Millie's cookies, the free samples of your favourite perfume, and the buy-one-get-one-free promo? Say it, and we'll be there!

But there is one free gift that we all hesitate to grab.

Romans 3:23 says : For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Our salvation has been handed to us freely as a gift, it is not something we can earn. Ephesians 2:8-9: For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,  not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Is there a catch, you might ask, why is it free? Well, it is because the price has already been paid. Paul speaks extensively in the book of Romans about Christ's gift of salvation. In Romans 8:3-4 Paul states, "[God] sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

John 3:16 states that God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

So why do we hesitate? Why are we reluctant to take this free gift?

John 3: 19-20  And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil. For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his works should be exposed

We hesitate simply because we'd rather carry on as we were. We don't like being told that we are "evil" and "sinful". We like to think we are fantastic and perfect on our own. But, if we are honest, we would admit that even our best intentions are tainted with ulterior motives and being "good" all the time is exhausting. (see Isaiah 64:6)

God knows the state of our hearts and He made a way for us to be truly righteous so that we can have eternal life- through trusting in Christ's work, turning away from your desire to sin and believing that Christ has saved you.

So, is your credit-card of self-righteousness maxed out? God's free gift is a great deal better than what you can get on your own credit.

It's the greatest offer if you ask me, so why not take it?

Love,

FeyVored

Image courtesy of Shutterstock


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yours Sincerely, Me

For reasons unknown to me, I was deeply inspired to write this note on my way to school this morning. I hope this note is relevant to someone. Stay blessed . I dread to start this letter with “Dear” because I fear that she might read it and become suspicious and spiteful of what is now non-existent. And no, I wouldn’t want that, for I am a changed person and whatever I do now, I do it in love. I would like to ask you a few questions though, well; I would like to know if when you see her your eyes light up like a kid’s in a candy store? Do you find yourself smiling just at the mention of her name? And do you wish you could hold her in your arms and make those precious moments last forever? Is she your half’s other, close to you like no other? I’m not writing to make you feel insecure about your new relationship. I don’t want you to feel that you are being watched closely, I haven’t gone crazy and I am fine; there’s been no mental-breakdown. I just want to remind you that you once s...

Uni: Me, Mini-me.

Today is Thursday. I'm dreading the night mainly because of the aftermath- a very messy kitchen, quite smelly corridors and grumpy cleaners. My first semester of Uni, I must say, wasn't at all what I had anticipated. I remember coaching myself mentally, preparing for the hard times to come, having an escape plan in case of a metaphoric fire and a Plan B if that didn’t work. Anyway, as it happened, my plan B wasn't well premeditated, lacking enough detail to guide me through smoky situations. All it had inscribed on it was “RUN”. Thursday nights are Mercy Nights- when students get free entry into an over-hyped nightclub. As that isn’t my cup of tea, I tend to stay indoors, watching a movie or trying to catch up with work- the latter being more frequent. The reason I dread these nights is because my flatmates have a pre-party, a chaotic one, where over 10 people squeeze into our kitchen, blast the music through the roof and scream at the top of their lungs in chants for ...

Back on the tracks

Ah, the lovely sound from the tapping of my keys. It's been too long since I blogged. There are too many things that have happened in my life since I last published a post on here, these things I don't classify blog-worthy or are extremely personal, so I will skip a lot of the details and say what is on my mind right now. Since I was a little girl, I haven't always been fascinated by trains. This is to say that because they were not usual in my life, I didn't concern myself with them. I say this to point out that my story is not something that emerges from the deep-seated passions of locomotives instead, it is just about a recent observation that I have made. In fact, trains were almost a myth where I grew up and I still remember the excitement I felt when we were going to an excursion to see one in secondary school. But back to my point. I am writing about losing track. In life, we are all on a journey to a certain destination. I know God creates us for a purpos...