Skip to main content

On friendships


One of the things that I have accepted, although reluctantly, is that it is impossible for everyone to be my "good" friend.  I have tried hard to keep people I have met at some stage in life very close- regardless of distance, interests, religion, beliefs and life views. With time, I realised that wanting to be close to everyone meant my being close to no one. It's impossible to give your full attention and time to everyone. Only God can do that. So rather than tie people down with half-hearted friendships, I am learning to be sincere in defining my relationships.

Understanding that I can’t be everything to everyone, I have had to stop putting on others the burden to be a great friend. I understand that if anyone made a promise to ALWAYS be there but they haven’t actually been, they must have had good intentions but as people say, life happens. So I forgive you because I haven’t been the perfect friend myself and I need to be forgiven too.

But thanks be to God! Yes, we are all fallen humans, inadequate in creating the deepest longest lasting relationships, but there we find Jesus- the faithful friend.

Can we find a friend so faithful
  Who will all our sorrows share?
Jesus knows our every weakness,
 Take it to the Lord in prayer

Joseph Scriven understood that Jesus is the most faithful friend anyone can have; the words above are from a letter he wrote to his mother when distance and circumstance separated them in her illness. I implore to you look to Jesus as your best friend, seeking His help first before going to anyone else.

Have a think, is there anyone who you are depending on to always be faithful? Relieve them of the burden and put all your trust in Jesus.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yours Sincerely, Me

For reasons unknown to me, I was deeply inspired to write this note on my way to school this morning. I hope this note is relevant to someone. Stay blessed . I dread to start this letter with “Dear” because I fear that she might read it and become suspicious and spiteful of what is now non-existent. And no, I wouldn’t want that, for I am a changed person and whatever I do now, I do it in love. I would like to ask you a few questions though, well; I would like to know if when you see her your eyes light up like a kid’s in a candy store? Do you find yourself smiling just at the mention of her name? And do you wish you could hold her in your arms and make those precious moments last forever? Is she your half’s other, close to you like no other? I’m not writing to make you feel insecure about your new relationship. I don’t want you to feel that you are being watched closely, I haven’t gone crazy and I am fine; there’s been no mental-breakdown. I just want to remind you that you once s...

Back on the tracks

Ah, the lovely sound from the tapping of my keys. It's been too long since I blogged. There are too many things that have happened in my life since I last published a post on here, these things I don't classify blog-worthy or are extremely personal, so I will skip a lot of the details and say what is on my mind right now. Since I was a little girl, I haven't always been fascinated by trains. This is to say that because they were not usual in my life, I didn't concern myself with them. I say this to point out that my story is not something that emerges from the deep-seated passions of locomotives instead, it is just about a recent observation that I have made. In fact, trains were almost a myth where I grew up and I still remember the excitement I felt when we were going to an excursion to see one in secondary school. But back to my point. I am writing about losing track. In life, we are all on a journey to a certain destination. I know God creates us for a purpos...

Uni: Me, Mini-me.

Today is Thursday. I'm dreading the night mainly because of the aftermath- a very messy kitchen, quite smelly corridors and grumpy cleaners. My first semester of Uni, I must say, wasn't at all what I had anticipated. I remember coaching myself mentally, preparing for the hard times to come, having an escape plan in case of a metaphoric fire and a Plan B if that didn’t work. Anyway, as it happened, my plan B wasn't well premeditated, lacking enough detail to guide me through smoky situations. All it had inscribed on it was “RUN”. Thursday nights are Mercy Nights- when students get free entry into an over-hyped nightclub. As that isn’t my cup of tea, I tend to stay indoors, watching a movie or trying to catch up with work- the latter being more frequent. The reason I dread these nights is because my flatmates have a pre-party, a chaotic one, where over 10 people squeeze into our kitchen, blast the music through the roof and scream at the top of their lungs in chants for ...